I was introduced to this recipe by Ronda Strong. I helped out at an adult activity in our Ward in Bountiful and this was the main dish served. I only make it about once a year, when I can buy a medium sized pumpkin. The pumpkin needs to be big enough to hold the ingredients, with a little room for expansion, but that is about all. I have had people love this recipe and others that would rather not have it again. It has a lightly sweet flavor, different but very good.
Dinner in a Pumpkin
Wash outside of pumpkin- Cut a god sized hole in the top and then clean out inside.
Saute 2 lbs. hamburger, 1 large chopped onion and 1 c. chopped celery. Drain fat.
Add:
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms
1 can Cream of Chicken
3/4 c. instant rice
3/4 c. water
Simmer 10 mins., stirring occasionally. Spoon mixture into pumpkin and replace top. Place entire pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 1-1 1/2 hours or until pumpkin is tender. Cook last 1/2 hour with lid off. Serve out of pumpkin and scoop out the pumpkin as a vegetable.
Jason loves this one! He asks for it every year. Last year I forgot to get a pumpkin before they were all gone and he was SO SAD!! We won't forget this year!
ReplyDelete