Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chili Soup

This is a recipe I remember from my childhood. My Mom would make it in the fall and winter and we loved it. It is not like Chili from a can. I actually like it better. It became a tradition, in our house, for me to make this for Halloween. I had all but forgotten about it until Becky reminded me. It made the house smell good and was a healthy alternative to all the candy. It makes a very big pot, so plan on left overs. If you can make it early in the day, it is MUCH better. Make it and eat it, it is meat, beans and tomato. With time, it is Yummy. After a few years, I started serving it with some great bread sticks. Still looking for that recipe, it will come soon. Let me know if you like this one......hope you do.

Chili Soup
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 onion and 2-3 cloves garlic (optional...I added this)
1 envelope chili seasoning
1 large can tomato juice
2-3 large cans chili beans with juice for seasoning
Brown meat, onion and garlic. Add seasoning, mix well to coat. Add beans and juice. That's it. Simmer and enjoy. Try it and if you want it not soupy, you can play with it.

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! I am going to make this one this year. Either on Saturday or Sunday. This recipe is Halloween for me. I loved it and have missed it. I plan on making it every Halloween for my family. Thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween! Soup is on the stove. I hope it turns out great. Sure smells yummy. I think next time I would go with two pounds of meat. But since we haven't eaten it yet I am not sure. Either way....Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changed my mind. You don't need two pounds of meat. I also used ground turkey. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete